Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Christina Volz: On Learning Chinese, Chen Yi & More

Today is the Monday before Thanksgiving break and we have another Chinese class this morning. Our classes have been getting progressively more difficult and interesting as they go on (now we're expected to actually remember things... yikes!). It's been challenging to find the time and energy to study another language during this crazy period of finals at the end of the semester, but we're all trying to make it work. Hopefully, once school gets out, the orchestra will have a little more time to devote to our Chinese studies. 

I'm very excited to perform the Chen Yi in China. It's become one of my favorite pieces that we've performed in orchestra this semester. This piece has brought about a curiosity of Chinese history for me that is actually making me more excited to go (if this is possible)! I'm nervous to perform at the conservatory, but hopefully they will enjoy the concert. 

It was a struggle to come up with the payments for this trip (there were many days of eating ramen!), but the experiences one gains from international travel are priceless. I've never been to China and I'm incredibly excited to see what new experiences and perspectives this trip will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment